|13th Indonesia National Championship Final, Jakarta 1972|
|PGN 2014.05.22. 4 games. Incomplete.|
Final. 1972.06.??-??. Round Robin 13 rounds. 14 players. NM titles: Monang Sinulingga, Tigor Hutagalung, Pokan Damanik.
Cheating in chess takes many forms. One of them is pre-arranged games as happened in this event. Ds FKN Harahap in Sejarah Catur Indonesia (History of Indonesian Chess) wrote, “MHS Nainggolan, who had to give a free point to a certain younger player early in the tournament, lost his appetite to play well. He finally ended up as the tailender. The defending champion Arovah Bachtiar admitted that he was disgusted. He then played sluggishly.”
The event wasn’t all about a sad story.
Now Indonesia had a new champion in 28-year-old Jacobus Sawandar Sampouw who employed an interesting style. The Ujung Pandang born tended to play positionally with a big attention to the opening details, something that we couldn’t find from the past champions such as Bachtiar or Ardiansyah.
Another silver lining was the rise of Monang Sinulingga, a player from Tanah Karo, North Sumatera. Previously unknown he placed himself in the big five. Sinulingga beat olympians Ardiansyah, Eddy Suwandhio, and Tigor Hutagalung. He was a natural player meaning he didn’t know much about chess theories. Media blew up a myth that he was illiterate which was, of course, untrue. Sinulingga had soon become a very popular player in Indonesia.
Selected Games (viewer © ChessTempo)
Jacobus Sawandar Sampouw
Manuntun Halomoan Sofjan Nainggolan
13th Indonesia National Championship Final
1-0 B42 Sicilian Kan: 5.Bd3
- Belajar Main Catur dari Master-Master Internasional dan Nasional 1981 (Ds FKN Harahap)
- Buku Panduan Percasi (Djamil Djamal) 1996
- MONANG SINULINGGA
- Putaran Ketiga Sirkuit Grandmaster Asia Pertama 1978
- Sejarah Catur Indonesia 1986 (Ds FKN Harahap)
- DKI Jakarta Provincial Women Championship, Jakarta 1980
- Gunadarma Rating, Jakarta 2002
- Yuri Averbakh 8-Match, Jakarta 1956
- 22nd Indonesia National Championship, Jakarta 1984
- 2nd Asian Masters Circuit 2nd Leg, Jakarta 1983
- Wahono Cup, Jakarta 1982
- Yuri Averbakh & Vladimir Bagirov 8-Match, Jakarta 1960
- 8th Indonesia National Championship, Jakarta/Bandung 1964-5
- Ds FKN Harahap Cup, Jakarta 1985