|14th Indonesia National Championship, Denpasar 1973|
|PGN 2014.05.03. 3 games. Incomplete.|
1973.06.??-?. Swiss 13 rounds. 48 players. NM titles: Johny Suwuh, Binyoto.
The National Championship adopted Swiss System instead of Round Robin for the first time. It also discarded a qualification phase. As a result the year National Championship had no less than 48 participants, much more than the previous ones. North Sumatera didn’t send their players. Hence the fans couldn’t see Pokan Damanik and much awaited Monang Sinulangga in action.
The surprise winner of the event was Johny Suwuh of DKI Jakarta. He won ahead of more heralded players IM Ardiansyah, Arovah Bachtiar, and Jacobus Sampouw. Suwuh was not really a new face in the arena. He had been playing since 1960s but had never made a breakthrough until this event.
Ardiansyah failed to recapture his old form that made him a twice-National-Champion 1969–70. Bachtiar experienced a disaster in his game against Binyoto. He lost in 15 moves. Sampouw was still in the big ten but it was certainly not good enough for the defending champion.
Suwuh is a one time wonder. Not long after the event he switched his focus to pursue a higher education in Netherlands. That might be a wise decision but nevertheless was a loss for Indonesian chess.
Selected Games (viewer © ChessTempo)
Abdul Azis Riduan
14th Indonesia National Championship
1-0 B58 Sicilian: Classical
- Buku Panduan Percasi 2009 (Djamil Djamal)
- NIC Base
- Putaran Ketiga Sirkuit Grandmaster Asia Pertama 1978
- Sejarah Catur Indonesia 1986 (Ds FKN Harahap)
- Japfa Classic Open, Denpasar 2000
- 16th Indonesia National Championship, Medan 1975
- 1st Gunadarma League 1st Leg, Jakarta 2002
- National Selection for 26th SEA Games, Bogor 2011
- 38th Indonesia National Championship, Batam 2006
- Japfa Classic, Denpasar 2000
- Ds FKN Harahap Cup, Jakarta 1985
- 8th Telkom Open, Bandung 2006
- 1st Tri Dharma Cup, Bojonegoro 1995