|17th Indonesia National Championship, Jakarta 1976|
|PGN 2014.08.03. 2 games. Incomplete.|
1976.12.06-21. Swiss 11 rounds. Unknown number of players. NM title 7.5. NM titles: Limbas Tarihoran, Siswoko Arie Susilo, Hendrick Poha, Sarwan Ginting, Aditya AP, Sutan Aritonang, Anang Heriansyah Arosa.
The 17th Indonesia National Chess Championship introduced many new faces. IM Ardiansyah, Jacobus Sampouw, and Arovah Bachtiar still sat down on top but Monang Sinulingga, Ridwan Gozali, Mukmin Panggabean, MHS Nainggolan, Abdul Azis Riduan, and the other usual suspects were nowhere to be found in the big 20. The reigning champion Herman Suradiradja didn’t participate since he was playing abroad.
The number of rounds was cut down from 13 to 11 due to Christmas. The NM title required 70% rounding down, i.e. 7.5 VP. Seven players succeeded to nail the title.
Ardiansyah captured the National Champion crown for the 4th time. Surprisingly his fiercest challenge came from a new face, Limbas Tarihoran. Tarihoran placed as high as the runner-up position and became a new NM as well. He wasn’t much in the positional play but he had sharp eyes for tactical fireworks as many players of Batak origin did. His game against the 1972 National Champion Jacobus Sampouw below shows those qualities.
Selected Games (viewer © ChessTempo)
Jacobus Sawandar Sampouw
17th Indonesia National Championship
0-1 B01 Scandinavian Defence
- Buku Panduan Percasi 1996 (Djamil Djamal)
- Pelatnas Catur Genjot Catur Myanmar
- Putaran Ketiga Sirkuit Grandmaster Asia Pertama 1978
- Sejarah Catur Indonesia 1986 (Ds FKN Harahap)
- Ds FKN Harahap Cup, Jakarta 1985
- 23rd Indonesia National Championship, Mataram/Jakarta 1986
- 1st Gunadarma League 1st Leg, Jakarta 2002
- 22nd Indonesia National Championship, Jakarta 1984
- Anniswati Memorial Cup 1st Leg, Jakarta 2002
- 3rd Shahcom Rating, Jakarta 2003
- 1st Jakarta Shahcom Invitational, Jakarta 2000
- 2nd Indonesia Open, Jakarta 2012
- DKI Jakarta Provincial Championship, Jakarta 1981