|6th Indonesia National Championship, Medan 1960|
|1|| Hutagalung, Baris MHutagalung, Baris M||Jakarta||10.0|
|2|| Wotulo, Max ArieWotulo, Max Arie|
FIDE ID: 7102747.
POB: Langoan .
Title(s): NM 1955, IM 1969.
|3|| Ginting, MerlepGinting, Merlep||Medan||9.0|
|4|| Bachtiar, ArovahBachtiar, Arovah|
FIDE ID: 7100205.
POB: Banjarmasin .
Title(s): NM 1961, IM 1977.
Peak Elo: 2400 (1971).
|5|| Baswedan, AbubakarBaswedan, Abubakar||Surabaya||8.0|
|7|| Nainggolan, Manuntun Halomoan SofjanNainggolan, Manuntun Halomoan Sofjan|
|8|| Panggabean, DamePanggabean, Dame||Medan|
|11|| Arsjad, SubliArsjad, Subli||Banjarmasin|
|13|| Harahap, Dominos Fritz Kilian NicolasHarahap, Dominos Fritz Kilian Nicolas||Jakarta|
|VP||: Victory points.|
|PGN 2013.09.13. 4 games. Incomplete.|
1960.08.06-13. Round Robin 13 rounds. 13 players.
When Baris Hutagalung was in his zone, no body could stop him. Not Max Arie Wotulo, not Arovah Bachtiar, and not everyone else. Baris came out as the convincing winner in the 6th Indonesia National Championship 1960. He collected a massive 10 VP from 12 games for the first place. The runner-ups were Max and Merlep Ginting with 9 VP. Arovah and the defending champion Abubakar Baswedan were in the next order with 8 VP each. Both Max and Arovah had a better SB (Sonneborn Berger) than those of Merlep and Abubakar.
The event welcomed the then chairman of Percasi (All Indonesia Chess Federation), Ds FKN Harahap, as one of the participants. This was the only national championship to have that privilege to date. At that time many Percasi officials were also an accomplished chess players beside Harahap, i.e. Dame Panggabean, Max Arie Wotulo, GS Pandjaitan etc.
This was the last time Baris won a national championship. Very sad knowing that in the next few years Baris left chess for good to play bridge. As a success became his habit, he quickly gained recognition in this field and became a member of Indonesian national bridge team.
Without a shadow of a doubt Baris M Hutagalung has been the most dominant Indonesian chess player during 1950-60.
Selected Games (viewer © ChessTempo)
Baris M Hutagalung
6th Indonesia National Championship
1-0 E12 Queen’s Indian Defence: Unusual White’s 4th Moves
- Berkas:Baris Hutagalung.jpg
- Belajar Main Catur dari Master-Master Internasional dan Nasional 1981 (Ds FKN Harahap)
- Putaran Ketiga Sirkuit Grandmaster Asia Pertama 1978
- Sejarah Catur Indonesia 1986 (Ds FKN Harahap)
- Yuri Averbakh & Vladimir Bagirov 8-Match, Jakarta 1960
- Bank BNI GMs, Jakarta 1996
- Makita Lakoni, Jakarta 2004
- Gunadarma IMs Circuit 1st Leg, Depok 1994
- Yuri Averbakh 8-Match, Jakarta 1956
- Gunadarma Rating, Jakarta 2002
- 3rd Indonesia National Championship, Jakarta 1955
- 9th Japfa Festival GMs, Jakarta 2014
- 1st First Lady’s Cup, Solo/Denpasar 1982