|Japfa Classic Open, Denpasar 2000|
|PGN 2013.09.17. 67 games. Incomplete.|
2000.05.03-11. Swiss 9 rounds. 230 players.
The tournament was the open version of Japfa Classic Chess Tournament which was held several days earlier at the same city. The total prize was US$20,000.
Indonesian players failed to win this event. Four overseas players were in pole positions: GM Darmen Sadvakasov, GM Nordmund Miezis, GM Buenaventura Villamayor, and GM Jaan Ehlvest. Kazakhstani Sadvakasov had the best tie-break. As a consolation for the host, some Indonesian players surprisingly defeated their much higher rating opponents.
Myanmar sent 3 players who were seeded 1, 8, and 11 as their ratings suggested. The top seed Zaw Win Lay (rated 2633) was the only Myanmar player to have played a rated player. He played Australian Timothy Reilly (2192) and lost. The other two didn’t even get high enough VP to play rated opponents. The story, once again, rose a question about Myanmar players and their bloated ratings.
The Japfa Classic Open Tournament was organized by Bali Jeff Chess Center and PT Japfa Comfeed Indonesia Tbk.
- Chess Piece: IM Bong Villamayor is first in Indonesia
- The Week In Chess 287
- The Week In Chess 288
- Japfa Classic, Denpasar 2000
- 2nd First Lady’s Cup, Jakarta/Yogyakarta/Denpasar 1983
- 14th Indonesia National Championship, Denpasar 1973
- Gunadarma Invitational World Cities, Jakarta 1997
- Gunadarma Open, Jakarta 1997
- 1st Indonesia Open, Jakarta 2011
- Indonesia-ROW Match, Denpasar 1999
- 26th SEA Games, Palembang 2011
- 14th World Microcomputer Championship, Jakarta 1996